October 16, 2003

Clinton warned Bush of bin Laden threat

Of course, LNS subscribers have read many stories
(from overseas and *alternative* media) since 9/11 on
how seriously the Clinton-Gore national security team
and how "all the _resident's men" shelved the
Clinton-Gore plan to crush Al-Qaeda after the Supreme
Court Injustices installed this illegitimate regime.
Sidney Blumenthal's terrific book, The Clinton Wars,
also contains a detailed narrative of the damning
facts. Now, Clinton himself has finally spoken out,
and it has been covered by Reuters (British-owned),
maybe the truth will dawn for AnythingButSee's
NightLies or SeeBS Fork The Nation sometime in the
next six months. BTW, the White House spokesman in
this story is lying in print. Meanwhile, if you have
walked up to the counter of an airport bookstore
lately you have probably noticed that the "vast
reich-wing conspiracy" media machine is turning out
their Orwellian re-writes of the history of all
this...Remember, 2+2=4

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=388706žion=news&fromEmail=true

Clinton warned Bush of bin Laden threat
Thu 16 October, 2003 03:27 BST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former President Bill Clinton
says he warned President George W. Bush before he left
office in 2001 that Osama bin Laden was the biggest
security threat the United States faced.

Speaking at a luncheon sponsored by the History
Channel on Wednesday, Clinton said he discussed
security issues with Bush in his "exit interview," a
formal and often candid meeting between a sitting
president and the president-elect.

"In his campaign, Bush had said he thought the biggest
security issue was Iraq and a national missile
defence," Clinton said. "I told him that in my
opinion, the biggest security problem was Osama bin
Laden."

The U.S. government has blamed bin Laden's Al Qaeda
network for the September 11 attacks.

Time magazine reported last year that a plan for the
United States to launch attacks against the al-Qaeda
network languished for eight months because of the
change in presidents and was approved only a week
before the September 11 attacks.

But the White House disputed parts of that story,
which was published by the magazine in August 2002.

"The Clinton administration did not present an
aggressive new plan to topple al-Qaeda during the
transition," a White House spokesman, Sean McCormack,
said at the time.

The White House was clearly irritated by the report,
which appeared to suggest that the Bush administration
might not have done all it could to prevent the
attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon.

At Wednesday's luncheon, Clinton said his inability to
convince Bush of the danger from al Qaeda was "one of
the two or three of the biggest disappointments that I
had."

Clinton said that after bin Laden, the next security
priority would have been the absence of a Middle East
peace agreement, followed by the proliferation of
weapons of mass destruction.

"I would have started with India and Pakistan, then
North Korea, and then Iraq after that," he said. "I
thought Iraq was a lower order problem than al Qaeda."

Clinton's vice president Al Gore, who ran against Bush
in the 2000 election, did not make the threat from al
Qaeda a major focus of the presidential campaign,
which both candidates kept focused mainly on domestic
topics.


Posted by richard at October 16, 2003 08:55 PM